Sunday, August 19, 2007

Grand Marais



While the rest of Minnesota got wet we were enjoying perfect weather in Grand Marais. We went on a series of wonderful hikes and Belinda and I each went for rides up the Gunflint and throughout the area. It was another ride, like Estes, where I had thoughts of a good workout and within a half of a mile I wasn't thinking about anything but how beautiful the ride was and how lucky I was to be on it. Incredible beauty and perfect weather. The climb out of Grand Marais is at least 3 miles and the view is so great!

I am heading down to Preston this week to ride with my students on Thursday and some friends on Saturday. It will be interesting to see what we can do on Thursday, much of that ride was on the Root River Trial. The Root River Trail got flooded last night and the damage is extensive. Saturday's ride should be ok, but we will be riding through a few of the heaviest hit communities. We will have to see how this shakes out.

The floods are probably an answered prayer to the Loon State hierarchy. I was under the gun as I was attracting a slew of racers away from the State Road Race this weekend. Now the dozens of racers that were going to ride along the Root will end up back at the race. Wow! That was a real close one guys. Anything I can do to help. I feel a little guilty just by getting on my bike now.

No comments: